Tuesday, October 16, 2007

In Defense of My Vice(s)

I've been known to rave about a fellow wheelchair blogger out there, who I mentioned in some previous posts, Mark Smith. He does make some interesting observations, which I've noted in the past. That being said, his latest I must vehemently disagree with. In "Explosive Combinations," he shakes his head in disapproval at wheelchair-users who smoke, and more astonishingly at those who drink alcohol and caffeine. Sorry Mark (both for my disagreement and the pun that follows), but this time you're off the mark.

Let me start by acknowledging that smoking is bad for you. I am not a smoker, but obviously, smoking has been shown to have devastating health consequences. Even more importantly, very few people are "social smokers." You don't often meet someone who has a cigarette once a week, or month for that matter. In other words, if you are a smoker, you probably smoke a number of cigarettes per day which is what makes the habit dangerous.

On the other hand, I am a passionate coffee-drinker and a committed social drinker. No, I do not hide whiskey under my mattress and slip a swig before heading out to work or class in the morning. "It's Five-O-Clock Somewhere" isn't quite reassuring enough for me to rationalize morning drinking. I usually max out at two coffee cups per day. But I must have my coffee in the morning to get me off to the right start, and I find there is nothing better than a nice glass of wine in the evening--or for that matter, a couple of cocktails with my friends on the weekends. These things make me happy.

I do not think that drinking coffee or alcohol demonstrates, as Mark says, a "my body is already struggling, so what's one more issue matter?” attitude. Nor do I think I am "so wrapped up in self-pity and dysfunction" that I don't care that I'm moving my own neck "closer to the buzz saw with nonsense like unbridled tobacco and alcohol consumption when [I] know darn well that it all dramatically exacerbates [my] condition, literally making [me] more disabled." What?!?!? My love of coffee and wine has nothing to do with my disability. It has to do with the fact that I enjoy coffee and wine, and my life is better with these things than without.

On the other hand, I have known other young people with disabilities whose lives are so regimented that they've never experienced the pure bliss of laughing hysterically with their friends at a bar over a mediocre joke or a cheesy pickup line. They don't ever sit in the sleepy morning with a steamy cup of bitter-smooth roasted coffee, feeling the warmth energize their bodies and minds from the inside out. I guess my question is, unless there is some other unique health risk that these things pose to a person, why not enjoy a little vice once in awhile? Studies have shown that in moderation, coffee can be good for the digestive system and has no measurable health risks. Similarly, the health effects of red wine have been studied for years, and while the conclusions vary, it seems that there may be at least some benefit to moderate drinking.

I'm not trying to sound like a drug pusher here, and as I said, if you simply don't drink alcohol or coffee, I respect that. But please respect my choice to partake in my morning and evening beverages. In my opinion, my french fry vice is much more dangerous than my drink choices. The most dangerous activity that we wheelchair-users--myself heartily included--partake in is probably overeating and inactivity. I feel one million times more guilty and abusive of my body when I eat fatty foods and don't exercise than when I drink coffee or wine.

With that, I hereby proclaim that I will continue to drink alcohol and coffee, and I will not feel guilty for doing so. It's not my fault these vices feel so good.

11 comments:

Josie Byzek said...

I couldn't agree with you more.
http://www.newmobility.com/browse_thread.cfm?id=96&blogId=10&CFID=935645&CFTOKEN=51167383

Anonymous said...

keep on pounden them beers nora....u should come down to Georgia and try some moonshine.....

Anonymous said...

i read mark smith's blog as well and i completely disagreed as well. in my opinion it felt as if he was stereotyping disabled people, saying that we're all sickly and weak, when that's not true at all. i don't smoke cigarettes but i do drink at least 3 cups of tea every day (caffeniated). if i don't have my earl grey in the morning i am grouchy for the rest of the day, i can go without my tea at lunch but i perfer not to, and my tea at night helps me relax and sleep better. tea is also very healthy as you are probably aware.
mark smith also seemed to forget that disabled people are people as well. so what is 5%more smoke than AB people? 5% isn't that much of a difference. just because a small precentage more smoke doesn't mean that we have given up on ourselves. if he wants an accurate view on why we smoke more, perhaps he should do his own study on his website and ask disabled people why they smoke. he'd probably find that many smoke because of stress, perhaps trying to fit in as a teenager, to loose weight and many more.

Nora Wiles said...

That's very true. People smoke, drink, etc., probably for many of the same reasons--disabled or not. I should clarify that I do believe people with disabilities benfit greatly from living healthy lifestyles. But there is a huge difference between being a social/moderate drinker or a coffee lover and having a serious substance abuse problem. You can be a healthy person, mainly by eating right and exercising, and still have your coffee or drink beer or wine on the weekends.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I might have a smokes every few days, but thats it. As for alcohol, it is the only thing that calms down the twitching and violent movements that are caused by my Cerebral Palsy and other disabilities. Some nights I cannot move on my own because my body is thrashing beyond my control, but if I have a beer or two, my muscles will relax to the point that I can function. Plus, the first time in about ten years that I picked up a glass and drank from it (without a straw) I had been drinking, and I can write and feed myself ten times better after two drinks, plus the spasticity in my legs decreases, so I walk better, and with less pain... so its not that I go out and got drunk, but alcohol acts as a relaxent that no prescription medicine has ever done. My doctors are trying to figure this out, and I get tons of jokes of my friends offering to put a shot of vodka into my juice in the morning, but its all in good fun.

ps. i rarely get drunk, just at parties and stuff with friends, this is usually after a socail drink watching a hockey game or whatever, it does not influence my mind, and i do not drink all the time, just to have a laugh wit friends, or in instances, as mentioned above, where my movement is very impaired

Danielle said...

I have the same opinion as the nameless poster. I have CP as well, and read Mark's stuff and I disagree with him this time. I wanna know something from you Nora how do you feel about those who are disabled and smoke pot?

Anonymous said...

This is in response to Danielle. I smoke pot for my cerebral palsy and epilepsy. It helps with my muscle spasms, pain and reduces sexiures. I used to have over twenty seziures a year, now I am down to about ten (I've been using marijuana for three years now). I am off all antiseziure medications, antispasmotics and pain killers. I use a vaporizor instead of smoking it.

Danielle said...

I have smoked it too! From time to time. Please don't think i'm againist it or outraged by it. It does help. I just like to hear people's thoughts!

Anonymous said...

What, Mark left out sex and rock & roll from the vices? Please... put them back in, I want to feel like I'm breaking the law a little bit over here.

Bring on the lovely vices!


- Liz
http://badgerbag.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I agree with importance of enjoying the simple pleasure of a good coffee and a fine wine, but, and I'm sorry to burst some bubbles, there is NOTHING 'bad for you' about 100% pure, natural tobacco! Humans have been using it perfectly safely since time immemorial, so stop just believing everything you're told like a perfectly-programmed p-c PC!? I'm disabled too, with a rare neurological disease, and the simple fact is that my smoking helps my pain. I have smoked for a long time, am a very heavy smoker, and I don't even the slightest trace of any kind of cough, apart from when I get a chest-infection. And when I do, the best way to cure it, almost immediately, is by smoking my tobacco with sage - an ancient Native-American remedy. Something is 'bad for you' in the air indeed, but it comes out of the back of cars, trucks, buses, diesel locomotives and aeroplanes, NOT pure tobacco cigarettes, pipes and cigars. We are never told about the many BENEFITS of tobacco-smoking, and why isn't too hard to figure out, especially when one also considers that there are drugs on the market and several of them - that one has to purchase - made from tobacco due to it's remarkable properties -- everything from blood-pressure lowering medication, to heart-regulating medication, to alertness-enhancing medications of various kinds, to things that heal coughs and colds, and so forth -- all patented medicines of course, whose primary ingredient is, you guessed it, nicotine. Et cetera. If you're going to cut the crap, great ~ you're providing a valuable community service ... but how about cutting all of it?