Thursday, September 13, 2007

Introducing Nora Wiles: Aspiring Inspirational Celebrity

It's about time I introduce myself to you, aside from my silly childhood (and speeding) stories. My name is Nora Wiles, and I am an aspiring inspirational figure. Seriously, I've got most of what is usually required: a severe physical disability (read: lots of challenges and barriers to overcome), an impressive resume and cadre of accomplishments (read: overcame lots of challenges and barriers), a stellar personality, and don't forget my striking good looks and humble persona! I'm ready for the circuit--book me soon, before I get too famous.

I've known a number of people with truly remarkable stories, who faced many more challenges than me and who should rightly be admired, who did just that. One woman wrote a book about her life after her car accident and the barriers she overcame to go to college and graduate. She got her own Lifetime Movie! The first quadriplegic to graduate from an Ivy League college which shall remain unnamed. She gave the class speech at graduation and enjoyed a standing ovation. I graduated three years later, and guess how many newspapers covered the second (quasi) quad to graduate? That's right. Zero. Unless you count the little mention in the "Announcements" section of my hometown paper (circulation: 300). It's ok. I'm not bitter. The fact is that I spent my entire college career trying to show that I was just like everybody else. Nothing to see here, folks.

The problem for me is that I know growing up I would have greatly benefited from seeing the success of another woman who used a wheelchair. Someone who had already laughed in the face of those logistical and social challenges that I would soon encounter. But I wanted to see somebody whose life achievements did not necessarily center around her disability. I didn't just want to look at her and say, "Wow, she uses a wheelchair, and look at all she has done." Rather, I wanted the kind of role model that I could look at and think, "Wow. I would like to be her. I would want her life." And even better, I wanted to see somebody who other girls, with and without disabilities, would look at and say the same thing.

That has been what I have aspired to. I have always wanted to inspire people and give young girls with disabilities hope and confidence. But I wanted to be somebody who they would like to be. Somebody whose life looked appealing enough for all people--with and without wheelchairs, disabled and not--to envy.

Of course, I do not in any way think I have achieved this. I am happy with my life, and I'm proud of what I have done and what I plan to do, but I am only twenty-six. It would be pretty darn presumptuous to assume that scores of young'ens would die to read law books, play Texas Hold Em, and eat peanut butter sandwiches all the time like me. All I said is that I aspire to be cool enough to be that woman.

The point of all of this is that I want this blog to be a way to inspire people, not by lamenting the challenges I face, but by showing how much I enjoy my life. Sure, there are realities that must be addressed. I have to figure out how to find enough people to help me so that I can live on my own. I have to swallow my pride and independent attitude sometimes to ask strangers for help. But those are just incidentals that add to the crazy, funny, exciting story that is life.

One caveat, though: If someone out there wants to offer me oodles of money and a healthy residual income, or if you can help me meet Matt Lauer, I am a highly qualified inspirational speaker, talk show guest, author, and/or star of a TV movie. Please see above (para 1).


1 comment:

Dalton said...

Nora, your writing is good stuff. Now the key question is, do you have any funny bar/bouncer stories to share with your fans?

--Dalton