Wednesday, September 26, 2007

As a Side Note

Just to demonstrate my "smooth" demeanor and highly sophisticated social skills, I thought I'd share a small incident.

I was calling a friend who I have not talked to in awhile. There's no particular reason that we haven't talked, except that we have been busy with work (or more like he has been busy since I don't actually work anymore!).

My usual inclination in a situation like this is to joke about it. "Why haven't you called? Oh, I see, more important people to talk to?" Anybody who knows me can attest. I sometimes feign hurt to give my friends a hard time. But they know I am kidding.

Except this time it was a voicemail. I had my message planned out. Something about how this would be the last time I would call, you better return my call or we won't be speaking for a while. I swear, the idea was not as creepy as it sounds. Being slightly dramatic is my way. It is fun! I swear!

Well, the voice mail came on, and I was waiting for my class to start so it was silent in the echoey hallway.

"Hey, it's Nora," I started. "I'm calling..and.." Mind blank.

"This is the last time I will call you...Ever...Because.." What was I going to say?

"Um..I am sick and tired of my calls not being returned!" [Nervous chuckle]

"Ha. I'm kidding. So call me back.. I mean, I'm sure we'll talk soon, so call me... Oh Gosh. Bye."

Yeah, smooth. I was sweating.

"If you are finished with your recording, press one."

ONE

"If you would like to hear your recording, press two. If you would like to delete your recording and re-record your message, press three."

THREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey. This is Nora. Call me back."

WHEW!


No comments: