Friday, October 5, 2007

Is this the Bar Exam, or a Top Secret Government Mission?

I must apologize to my fan(s) for my recent hiatus from Wheel World. Life with a two-day work week has become very strenuous recently, particularly since I just learned that the Bar Exam is going to require a full background check, polygraph, and timed obstacle course (including a blindfolded wheel barrow race) in order to "document my disability."

I am not whining. I understand that standardized tests must make sure that people are not taking advantage of the system by feigning disabilities. But seriously, the name, phone number, and address of my original diagnos-er? My doctor from birth who diagnosed me was easily in his late sixties when I was born, which means that he is 80-90 years old now. I guess the scary thing is how much I hate wading through red tape when I have just dedicated my last four years and $100K+ becoming qualified to make a career of it.

My question is, why don't I feel more qualified, after nearly completing law school, to follow strict, exacting regulations? I mean, if they asked me to write a memo explaining the test for "disability," the factors needed to meet that test, and why I meet it, I could do it in a heartbeat. If they asked me to present an argument in a hazy case for why someone has a disability, I'm your (wo)man. But filing forms, getting people to "document" things for me, and generally wading through a forty-page handbook makes me queasy.

To make matters worse, the type of law I will be practicing entails just this: figuring our arcane and tedious rules for rich companies.

I think doing it for someone else always makes it easier. Or at least I hope! Otherwise, I am in for a real treat -- career-wise.

That said, I am almost done crossing my T's, so please, readers-who-may-or-may-not-be-related-to-me-or-otherwise-financially-interested-in-my-future-employment, not to worry.


1 comment:

South Philly Phil said...

Are you sure it's not because you're getting too big for your britches, Ms. Wiles? I see you were mentioned as a "New Blog to Watch" at www.mikedoe.net. Congrats, but don't forget your faithful readers as you go big time!